40 Franklin Street

About the Project

40 Franklin Street in Rochester, New York was the first commercial building in Rochester to be added to the National Register of Historic Places. This four-story, “V” shaped structure sheathed in Kato stone from Minnesota was designed by McKim, Mead and White, and built in 1927 to house the Rochester Savings Bank. The west side of the building still houses a banking hall with murals painted by artist Ezra Winter and hand-laid mosaics along the walls and columns that stretch all the way to the 30-foot cathedral ceiling. Hamilton Stern renovated and restored the third floor of the east side of the building, owned by RIT, to make classrooms, offices, and common areas for the RIT Center for Urban Entrepreneurship.